Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It's Hot and Hummid

Last weekend was a washout in terms of running in Sydney. It poured from Friday night until it finally stopped late Monday morning. I enjoyed the break from running and we took the opportunity to do what Sydneysiders and Torontonians have in common and really love; brunch on a patio. Many Sydney streets have overhanging pedestrian protection canopies that not only give relief from the sun and rain but also provide shelter to excellent cafe patios. It's interesting that the rain doesn't bother so much when it's warm and you're on a patio having brunch.

The 2-day break from running coincides with a sharp pain I've developed in my right foot. I think that it's caused by doing too many of these T (Threshold) and Marathon Pace runs too early in my training, or maybe they're too much for someone my age and experience level.

I'll probably be a little more conservative with my runs for a while and see where that takes me. Maybe running a marathon isn't about getting a better time. I also see how important it is to have an alternative to running. I miss having a gym to do some cross training during my down time.

I've found some great cafes that all seem to offer free wireless. When I'm not running we're usually walking long distances to other Sydney neighbourhoods. Yesterday we took a ferry to Manley Beach. The huge Mardi Gras festival starts in a few weeks. That's the equivalent of our Pride Week although I haven't noticed if they have a run associated with it.

On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I got back to 10 to 11 Km runs. Over the weekend I'll try to have a good long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment